Post-Graduation Work Permits 2017-11-30T16:52:21+00:00

Post-Graduation Work Permits For International Students In Canada

Many foreign students who come to Canada to study or complete their post-secondary education wish to stay in Canada to work and obtain Canadian work experience.

Upon completion of their education in any Canadian university, international students who graduate in Canada are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, enabling them to work in Canada.

In its quest to keep international students in Canada, the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) runs a Post-Graduate Work Permit Program. Students under this program may obtain a three year open work permit authorising them to gain professional experience with a Canadian employer in any sector. Most importantly, it is not a prerequisite that students hold an employment offer when applying.

Qualifying Criteria

For International students who are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit

Enrolled for a full-time course for eight months preceding the completion of their academic program, and should be a graduate of:

  • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade or technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec);
  • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions;
  • a private secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to a diploma of vocational studies (DVS) or an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS); or
  • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees (i.e., bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, doctorate), but only if the student is enrolled in one of the programs of study leading to a degree, as authorized by the province, and not in just any program of study offered by the private institution;

The Study Hub

Canada’s Study Hub is the one-stop shop for foreign students who need information and access to:

  • Scholarship contest worth $500 Personal status checker
  • Immigration updates
  • Reports
  • Employment opportunities
  • Route to obtaining a Canadian permanent residence

Don’t wait, join the Study Hub today!

  • You can apply for a work permit within 3 months of obtaining a document from the institution confirming that preconditions of the program has been met;
  • Finished and passed the academic program, and obtained a letter authorizing the applicant to collect their degree, diploma, or certificate; and
  • Possess a valid study permit while applying for a work permit.

Prospective applicants should consider the following: In order to obtain the three year work permit, they should enroll on a program with a minimum duration of two years. Nevertheless, if the program does not meet the two year period but is longer than eight months, the graduate is still eligible to the same duration of the study program. Also, a student may also be eligible for the three-year open work permit in situations when a one year degree has been completed in an accredited university in Canada within two years.

  • The general rule is that a student must study for a full-time course in the eight months prior to the date of the application for the open work permit. However, in exceptional circumstances, if the student meets all the conditions except full-time study in the final session of study, the student will be granted the work permit. An example could be when a student requires two modules in the final session to complete the program, and has been studying full-time prior to this time, then the student may consider applying for the Post-Graduate Work Permit Program.

Need more information, please contact a member of the Immigrate4Canada team.