Spousal And Common Law Sponsorship 2017-12-08T03:08:03+00:00

Spousal And Common Law Sponsorship

The Family Class seeks to bring together family members of Canadian Residents

Sponsor your parents and grandparents

Update: The Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship program opens at various times throughout the year and accepts 10,000 applications annually!

Family Sponsorship allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to reunite with family members in Canada. Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor close family members for Canadian immigration.

Immigration Canada has one of the most open family reunification programs in the developed world, supported by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The IRCC is committed to helping  families remain together whenever possible.

You may be able to sponsor your parent or grandparent to become a permanent resident under the Family Class if you’re at least 18 years old and a:

  • Canadian citizen or
  • person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
  • permanent resident of Canada

If you sponsor your parent or grandparent to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must:

  • support them financially when they arrive
  • make sure they don’t need social assistance from the government
  • provide for your own essential needs and those of your parent or grandparent

The Spousal Sponsorship Category

Canada’s Spousal Sponsorship program is a subdivision of the Family Class immigration category. By virtue of this program, Canadian nationals or holders of permanent residency permits may sponsor a spouse or common-law partner to also become a permanent resident in Canada.

It is crucial for both Canadian citizens and permanent residents (i.e. the ‘sponsor’) and the foreign national (i.e. the ‘sponsored person’) to have an approval from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the sponsored person to obtain a visa.

The sponsor and sponsored person also need to establish that a subsisting relationship exists and also eligible under any of the three categories:

  • Spouse
  • Common-law Partner
  • Conjugal Partner

NOTE: In Canada, same-sex marriages are legal, and same-sex partners may also apply under the above-mentioned categories, in as much as the requirements are met.

For more information on the preconditions for the sponsor and sponsored person, please contact a member of the Immigrate4Canada.

Outland Sponsorship

If a sponsor resides outside Canada, the viable option is an outland application. Nevertheless, outland applicants can be resident in Canada and make the application via the outland program. Furthermore, travel permit can also issued to allow ingress and egress to Canada during the application process.

The visa office processes outland applications, and the applicant is notified in his /her home country of origin or place of domicile for at least a year. For more information on the Outland sponsorship, please contact a member of the Immigrate4Canada.

Inland Sponsorship

The other potential choice for Spousal/Common-Law Sponsorship is the Inland sponsorship which happens when the couple are together in Canada and the foreign spouse/common-law partner has temporary status in Canada as a professional, student or visitor. The individual being sponsored may be eligible for an Open Work Permit, enabling the person to work for any business in Canada whilst the application is being processed. To learn more about Inland sponsorship, please contact a member of the Immigrate4Canada team.

After Sponsorship

There are preconditions in Canada to be granted permanent residency, especially under the Spousal Sponsorship program. These are:

  • For a period of three years, the sponsor will support the sponsored person financially after which the The sponsor is financially responsible for the person sponsored for three years after the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.
  • Spouses immigrating to Canada are prohibited from sponsoring a spouse in turn for five years upon receiving a permanent residency in Canada.
  • Spouses/partners are subject to a two-year ‘genuine relationship’ test who have been in relationship for at least two years or have no children when the application is submitted. The supported person also needs to reside with the sponsor when in Canada for two years or face the likelihood of a retraction of their permanent residency. There’s a concession for spouses who are victims of abuse or neglect.