Study In Canada 2017-11-20T09:29:35+00:00

Study in Canada

Canada is home to one of the best education systems in the World

Education as a pathway to Canadian permanent residence

A Canadian post-secondary education is not only valuable from an educational and career standpoint, it is popular route for Foreign Nationals seeking Canadian permanent residence. To learn more about how your education can be a pathway, please contact a member of the immigrate4canada team.

From elementary school to universities and colleges, language schools to vocational programs, Canadian schools accommodate students of all interests and backgrounds.

Canadian Graduate students are respected across the World by tier 1 employers and leading higher learning institutions. This is combined with tuition fees and living costs that are generally lower than in other developed countries.

The number of international students in Canada is over 300,000, a figure that is constantly growing. If you been admitted to a Canadian educational institution, you may be eligible to study in Canada.

Studying in Canada

Do you need help on where and what to study and how to apply for schools and the list of schools that can receive students in Canada?

We can help you.

Choosing a program and school

In Canada, each province and territory is in charge of their own education system.

Get more information about schools and the education system:

  • EduCanada – information for international students about education in Canada, with study program search, costs, and more
  • Ministries and departments responsible for education – information about the education system in each province and territory

Primary and secondary schools

Schools that teach students up to the grade 12 level are known as primary and secondary schools. Primary usually means grades 1-8 and secondary usually means grades 9-12. All primary and secondary schools in Canada can enroll international students.

There are special rules for minor children studying in Canada.

Post-secondary schools

Post-secondary schools are:

  • colleges
  • universities
  • private career colleges and
  • vocational and technical schools.

Each post-secondary school has its own set of rules on how to apply, including the level of English or French you need to be accepted.

Get more information on post-secondary schools:

  • Universities Canada – profiles of Canadian universities, a large study programs database and help to plan your university education
  • Colleges and Institutes Canada – profiles of colleges and institutes
  • Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials – information on getting your past education assessed against Canadian standards
  • National Association of Career Colleges – find out about schools that teach trades and vocations

Language schools

Many schools in Canada teach English or French as a second language. For more information about private language programs, contact Languages Canada.

Studying in French

There are many ways to study in French across Canada.

  • French-language education in Canada has information on schools and institutions that offer courses in French.
  • The Association des Universités de la Francophonie Canadienne has information on university programs in French, English, or both.

Designated learning institutions

Provinces and territories approve (or “designate”) schools that can enroll international students. These schools become designated learning institutions (DLI).

If you need a study permit, your acceptance letter must be from a DLI.

All primary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs. You can search a list of the post-secondary schools, such as colleges and universities, and language schools that have been designated.

How to apply to a school, college or university

Once you choose a school, college or university, you must apply to go there. Each school has varying rules on how to apply.

Make sure you apply at least:

  • six months in advance if you want to study at a primary or secondary school,
  • a year in advance for a post-secondary program at a university, college, etc.

Contact the school where you want to study to learn how to apply. They will give you the list of all the documents you need to send them. Your school will be able to tell you about:

  • the cost to apply
  • tuition fees
  • health insurance
  • rent and how much it costs to live in Canada
  • language tests.

Immigrate4canada can help you to complete the application forms for the school or schools you wish to attend and following the online submission process.

If the school admits you as a student, they will send you an acceptance letter. You need this letter to apply for a study permit.

Health insurance

The Government of Canada doesn’t pay for the medical costs of foreign students.

Health coverage for foreign students is different depending on where you live. It is best to make direct contact with the school you wish to attend for more information about health insurance. If you are considering studying in Canada, please contact a member of the Immigrate4Canada team to assistance.

Please contact us with your query.